US 17 to Rifle Range Connector Road
NOTE: This project previously involved the realignment of Long Point Road to Old Georgetown Road and the extension of a new roadway from US 17 to Rifle Range Road. Based on the June 2018 Town Council action, the realignment portion of the project was removed. The roadway extension between US 17 and Rifle Range Road is currently being designed.
This project involves a roadway extension from US 17 to Billy Swails Boulevard and Rifle Range Road, primarily through the future jointly-owned Town of Mount Pleasant and Charleston County
park. The extension provides better connection between the existing and planned arterial network, which decreases trip lengths and disperses traffic to more intersections, versus concentrating it at fewer. The extension project was authorized for design in FY 2018 and is on-going. The design scope of work follows the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process, which enables the Town to take advantage of federal funds, should they become available to the project.
A public information meeting for the Long Point Road Extension project was held on February 22, 2018, at Christ Church, with about 50 citizens attending. Another public meeting is anticipated before the end of the year. Traffic modeling and analyses for the entire roadway network, to include the Long Point Road Realignment and Extension and Billy Swails Boulevard projects, is on-going through our Comprehensive Plan and Long Range Transportation Plan updates. Design year traffic for these projects is being developed in conjunction with that modeling process. Results of
the those efforts will be provided at future public meetings scheduled for both our Comp Plan/LRTP process as well as for the individual Long Point Road and Billy Swails Boulevard projects.
- Complete Design: September 2020
- Complete Permitting: June 2020
- Complete ROW: December 2020
- Begin Construction: January 2021
- Complete Construction: September 2022
- $10,461,081 (Funded in the 2020 - 2024 CIP)
- JMT Memorandum Regarding Potential Locations for Access between US 17 and Billy Swails Boulevard (11/26/18)
- CIP Featured Project Presentation (March 2018)
- Proposed Long Point Road Extension Public Information Meeting Notice (2/22/18)
- Proposed Long Point Road Extension Public Information Meeting Handout (2/22/18)
- Long Point Road Extension Alternative 1 (2018)
- Long Point Road Extension Alternative 2 (2018)
- Long Point Road Extension Typical Sections (2018)
- Long Point Road Extension NEPA Process (2018)
- CCPR Park on Rifle Range Conceptual Master Plan (2016)
- Project Manager: Paul Lykins, Project Engineer
- Ph: (843) 856-3080