The Town collects non-household garbage items separately as they have different disposal requirements:
- Yard Debris - bagged leaves/grass clippings (must be placed in brown paper yard bags - landfills do NOT accept plastic bags), brush, tree limbs (4' or shorter not larger that 8" in diameter and no stumps);
- Appliances and metal items;
- Furniture, and other non-food items that you are unable to donate or recycle;
- E-waste – Regulations prohibit the disposal of televisions, computers and other electronic equipment to the landfill. These items must be placed separately at the curb for special collection/ recycling. The Town will collect the items if un-broken and coordinate recycling efforts with the county. Residents can also take their e-waste to County drop-off sites for proper disposal.
Tips for curbside debris placement;
- Separate different debris items into separate piles
- Cut limbs into 4’ long sections
- Make smaller piles to allow for safe vehicle travel
- Bag loose debris for collection
- Keep debris piles away from ALL utilities.
- Sweep curbs of all debris to a bag for removal – clear your storm drains to limit flooding until debris can be collected
How We Collect Trash
Put your Trash out on Garbage Day! The trash collection vehicles will come through your neighborhood the same day as the garbage truck. The trash service operates claw and knuckle-boom equipment which load debris into scow trucks. Different trucks collect different materials for proper waste disposal. Yard debris is collected for composting and metal debris is recycled. Please remember to separate your trash piles.
Place Items Curbside! This will help keep the streets clean and safe. We utilize mechanical "claw" or knuckle-boom collection equipment to pick up the heavy debris. This system reduces injuries to our staff from having to lift and carry heavy materials from the ground into the large trucks. Debris should be placed at the curb but not blocking the road for safe travel.
What We Cannot Collect
Sorry, our division cannot collect the following items -- landfill regulations prohibit it – most may be disposed of directly by residents at the County’s Landfill and Recycling Centers! Please visit our FAQ section for more general information!
- Engine Parts;
- Hazardous materials - such as old pesticides;
- Oil (used oil can be recycled of at our Six Mile Facility);
- Wet Paint ;
- Tree Stumps;
- Contractor generated debris from construction, demolition, remodeling, or landscaping (these materials should be hauled away by your contractor and disposed of properly);
- COMPACT FLOURESCENT LIGHTBULB (CFL) DISPOSAL - These bulbs may NOT be disposed of in your garbage or trash containers due to mercury contamination issues.
Tips You Can Use
DONATE IT – the Kidney Foundation, Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity and other organizations will collect or accept many used items, and some organizations provide a tax-deductible receipt. Items donated to organizations for re-use helps reduce the size of our landfills and lessen the need for new landfills. Check our recycling page for more disposal options.
NEVER DUMP DEBRIS in or along ditches, or in storm drains!
- Tree limbs should be cut into 4' or shorter sections and not larger that 8" in diameter. Tree stumps are not collected.
- Dry your old paint before placing it out for collection. Wet paint will need to be taken to the Charleston County Recycling Center.
- Place separate items in separate piles (metal, limbs, bagged debris - must be placed in brown paper yard bags - landfills do NOT accept plastic bags, and furniture).
- Remove refrigerator doors and put the opening towards the ground when placing out for pickup - for safety's sake!
- Place trash material on the road by the curb not on your lawn (unless the road is too narrow) and not on top of the storm drain. This will reduce damages to your grass and the storm drain inlets, which can be crushed by the equipment.
- Never place debris on top of utility boxes, cable pedestals, or water meters.
- Be Advised - do not put items at or near the curb that you do not want collected!
To keep our residents safe we cannot accept garbage and trash items for drop-off at our facility. For special collections, please contact the administrative office at 884-8518.