Homeowner Associations (HOA)
As members of your Homeowner Association, you set the example for your neighborhood when you make good decisions regarding maintenance of stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs). These system are not owned by the Town but we are here to help communities and property owners!
Stormwater ponds are the most common practice that help manage flooding and water quality. There are also many other new "Best Management Practices" (BMPs) such as underground detention, bioretention, green roofs, pervious pavement and others that are being used in new developments that also require maintenance and inspections.
Please visit our "Post-Construction Process" page to find inspection checklists for annual reports and to find out about specific BMP maintenance requirements.
Pond Management Resources
We partner with the Ashley Cooper Stormwater Education Consortium , Clemson's Carolina Clear Program and other agencies to bring your resources and programs to help with pond management.
Clemson has created a Pond Management Website full of resources, inspection checklists, and helpful tips for geese problems, erosion issues and other common problems to help you with your efforts.
Master Pond Manager Course
Do you own or manage a pond? Do you understand how your pond functions? Do you want to know more? Our Clemson education partner is offering a course in pond management. This course has two options; one for professionals with pesticides licenses - and one for everyone else! Visit the course website for more information.
We hold a Pond Conference every two years in the Charleston Area for pond owners, property managers, and pond maintenance companies to help you manage your pond systems. Subscribe to our calendar for more information! As we work on developing this education opportunity, the registration and agenda links will be posted.
If you missed the prior conferences - the resources are still available!
- 2014 Pond Conference Presentations
- 2016 Pond Conference Presentations
- 2018 Pond Conference Presentations
Other Education Resources
- Suggested Stormwater BMP Maintenance Schedule
- Backyard Buffers for the South Carolina Lowcountry
- A Citizen's Guide to Stormwater Pond Maintenance
- Community Associations and Stormwater Management: A Coastal South Carolina Perspective
- A Citizen's Guide to Maintaining Stormwater Best Management Practices: For Homeowners Associations and Property Owners (Lake County Stormwater Management Commission, Illinois) - This product, though designed for residents in the Midwest, can be adapted for use in South Carolina.
Contact the Stormwater Division office for information on implementation and maintenance of BMPs in your neighborhood. Reach us at 843-856-2157.