Council Member Joe Bustos was re-elected to Council in 2015. He chairs the Human Resources Committee. He also serves on the Education, Planning & Development, Public Services, and Water Supply Committees. View the Committee Assignments here!
Some of his accomplishments include:
- Served nine years on the Mount Pleasant Town Council chairing the planning, water supply, bids and purchases, personnel and fire committees
- Served four years on the Mount Pleasant Water Works as an ex-officio commissioner
- Represented Mount Pleasant for three years on the Charleston Area Regional Transit Authority (CARTA)
- Enlisted in the United States Army in 1970 and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1995
- Life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Former commander of the Military Order of World Wars
- President of the East Cooper Pilot's Association
- Member of the Harbour Club's board of governors
- Commercial pilot and FAA Certificated Flight Instructor
- Served the City of Charleston as a police officer and was a recipient of the J.P. Strom Award
His wife Kathy graduated from Bishop England High School and Palmer College. Council Member Bustos and Kathy own and operate Bustos Travel Service and Mount Pleasant Flight Training, both based in their home town of Mount Pleasant. They raised two children and have one grandchild.