The Town of Mount Pleasant implemented regulations regarding the use of residential dwelling units as short-term rentals. Residents who plan to use residential homes, accessory dwellings, or portions of their homes as short-term rentals will be required to have a short-term rental permit and a business license.
Short-term Rental Permit Application and Re-Application Process
All short-term rental permits for the 2022 permit year have been issued. No other permits will be issued for 2022, unless a short-term rental property changes ownership or the current owner relinquishes their permit. To check on the status of permits available, you can contact the PLAN Department by emailing Jane Yager-Baumrind at email@example.com, or by calling our office at 843-884-1229.
Property owners wanting short-term rentals must submit a separate short-term rental application for each short-term rental property owned each year. The property owner (or their agent) can apply for a short-term rental permit. Re-application for a short-term rental permit cannot be completed prior to the start of the new permit year, and doing so will cause denial of the permit application. In addition to filling out the application and paying the appropriate review fee for each short-term rental property, the following information must be uploaded with the application:
- Signed Property Owner Affidavit (a separate form for each owner)
- Copy of current homeowner's insurance showing personal liability coverage and that the policy is in force
- Proof of property taxes paid
- Copy of ADU certificate of occupancy, if applicable
- Photo showing location of required off-street parking for each short-term rental unit(s)
- Initialed, dated, and signed Short-Term Rental Fire Safety Criteria
- Signed STR Requirement Acknowledgement form
- Link of all URL listings from all booking sites
- List of all sites used for advertisement
- Transaction History Report
- Provide a copy of covenants and restrictions (upon request)
More information on the application process and requirements can be found by viewing the ordinance.
Sales, Use and Accommodation Taxes
There are several types of taxes that must be collected, and some are paid to the state and some to Charleston County.
Please visit the SC Department of Revenue website with specific questions about state taxes you may owe or contact them at 803-898-5970.
For information about county taxes you may owe, please visit the Charleston County website or contact them at 843-202-6095.