Code Enforcement

code enforcement pic

The Code Enforcement Officer monitors and ensures compliance with the Town's Zoning Code and International Property Maintenance Code. These ordinances and regulations are intended to protect the health, safety and general welfare of residents. It is the responsibility of Town staff to enforce these regulations to ensure the best quality of life and environment for the residents.  

What do we investigate?

Staff investigates concerns involving public and private properties within the Town's planning area related to violations of the Town ordinances and International Property Maintenance Code as outlined in section 31.091 of the Town's Code of Ordinances. These duties include but are not limited to:

  • Chapter 50, Garbage and Refuse--improper placement of trash or garbage in public places or private property that impedes traffic or is not disposed in appropriate receptacles. Concerns with garbage containers left on the side of the road should be reported to Public Services by calling 843-849-2022.
  • Chapter 93, Nuisances--unsanitary conditions; property maintenance issues; abandoned vehicles.
  • Chapter 156, Zoning Code--oversight of short-term rental, accessory dwelling, bed and breakfast, and home-based business regulations; sign regulations; temporary signs and uses.

Additionally, the Code Enforcement Officer will investigate, administer, and enforce other provisions of the Code of Ordinances as designated by the Zoning Administrator.

Please keep in mind that depending on the type of concern reported, it could take several weeks for the issue to be fully investigated.  Often several follow-up visits and communication with the property owner are completed while an issue is investigated.

Whom do I contact to report an abandoned vehicle that is parked on the street or in a parking lot?

Vehicles that are possibly abandoned and parked on the street or in a parking lot can be reported to the Police Department through the non-emergency number at 843-884-4176.

Can I park my recreational vehicle in my driveway?

The Town does not regulate RVs parked in a driveway as long as it does not impede vehicular traffic on the right-of-way.  Your homeowner's association might have other restrictions regarding parking or storing RVs on residential property.

Do I need a permit for a fence?

The Town does not allow fencing in a buffer, easement or right-of-way.  Fences located on residential property within the Old Village Historic District are regulated.  For more information on fencing regulations and approval within the Old Village Historic District at 843-884-1229 or by emailing the Planning Department. Fences seven feet or higher may require a building permit.  Contact the Building Inspections office to determine if a building permit is required.

Can I park my commercial vehicle in my driveway?

The Town allows only one commercial vehicle to be parked in a driveway.  Acceptable commercial vehicles include standard size vans, sport utility vehicles and pick-up trucks.  Larger commercial vehicles such as dump trucks, wreckers, utility trucks, tractor-trailer rigs, field service trucks, delivery trucks, and the like are prohibited. Additionally, your HOA may have additional restrictions.

  1. Erin Brewton

    Land Code Inspector

  2. Seth Buckworth

    Land Code Inspector

  3. Planning, Land Use, & Neighborhoods

    Physical Address
    100 Ann Edwards Lane
    Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

February 2024

28 29 30 31 01 02 03
04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 01 02

There are no published events in current month.