- Next to last Wednesday of each month at 5:00 pm, unless otherwise specified on the 2024 Annual Meeting Schedule.
- Mount Pleasant Municipal Complex, 100 Ann Edwards Lane
- Submittal deadline is 28 days prior to meeting date
It is the function and duty of the Commission to undertake a continuing planning program for the physical, social, and economic growth, development, and redevelopment of the area within its jurisdiction. Specific planning elements are based upon careful and comprehensive surveys and studies of existing conditions and probable future development and include recommended means of implementation.
The Planning Commission has the power and duty to:
1. Prepare and revise periodically plans and programs for the development and redevelopment of its area;
2. Prepare and recommend for adoption to the appropriate governing authority or authorities as a means for implementing the plans and programs in its area:
a. Zoning ordinances to include zoning district maps and appropriate revisions;
b. Regulations for the subdivision or development of land, and appropriate revisions thereof, and to oversee the administration of the regulations that may be adopted;
c. An official map and appropriate revision on it showing the exact location of existing or proposed public street, highway, and utility rights-of-way, and public building sites, together with regulations to control the erection of buildings or other structures or changes in land use within the rights-of-way, building sites, or open spaces within its political jurisdiction or a specified portion of it;
d. A landscaping ordinance setting forth required planting, tree preservation, and other aesthetic considerations for land and structures;
e. A capital improvements program setting forth projects required to implement plans that have been prepared and adopted, including an annual listing of priority projects for consideration by the governmental bodies responsible for implementation prior to preparation of their capital budget; and
f. Policies or procedures to facilitate implementation of planning element.
3. Name or rename streets within the town.