Why Annex into the Town of Mount Pleasant?All town residents enjoy a full range of superior municipal services that are second to none, including administration, police, fire protection, public services and sanitation, recreation, municipal court, and planning and building inspection services.
In many instances, the property taxes you would pay are actually lower than what you currently pay in unincorporated Charleston County. You may also qualify for reduced homeowner's or business insurance.
How Do I Annex into Mount Pleasant?The easiest method of annexation pertains to property owners who have clear title to residential property that currently touches the existing town limits. All that is required is for each owner to sign a petition asking the Town Council to annex the property. There is no fee to annex.
The Town will provide the petition and, if needed, assist the property owner with the legal description of the property and the necessary maps. Town officials can also assist in the annexation of multiple properties, condominiums, entire neighborhoods, or annexation of property intended for uses other than single family residential use.
Annexation of all properties will assume a residential zoning classification based upon the applicable Comprehensive Plan Land Use Map recommendation. If an alternative zoning is desired, a property owner must apply for the alternative zoning by submitting a Planning Commission application for a zoning change. Annexation and zoning may be requested at the same time and can be considered concurrently.
What are the Benefits of Annexation?
- A full range of superior municipal services are provided to all Town residents
- Superior service from nationally accredited Police, Fire, and Recreation Departments
- Lower property taxes if currently located in Charleston County’s Consolidated Awendaw Fire District
- Once-a-week garbage and trash removal are included in property taxes
- Reduced rate for certain Town Recreation Department services
- The Town pays the electric bill for neighborhood street lights
- Lower homeowner’s or business property insurance rates (Ask your agent)
- Lower rates for sewer service
- Enjoy the benefits of being a part of an All-America City as designated by the National Civic League
- The Town of Mount Pleasant has been recognized for its excellence in financial reporting by the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) each year since 1988 and received the Distinguished Budget Award since 2012
- In addition, the Town of Mount Pleasant has been recognized for its achievements in workforce housing by the Municipal Association of South Carolina (MASC)
- Rated as one of the best places to live by Money Magazine
- Ability to vote for town elected officials, be appointed a member of a Board or Commission, or run for Town Council.
- Business License fees are waived for existing businesses for the remainder of the annexation year and the next full license year.
Please use the Quick links to the right to find out more about annexing your property into the Town of Mount Pleasant.