MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (July 1, 2022) - The Town of Mount Pleasant is urging residents and visitors to review laws regarding fireworks and follow all safety tips as they celebrate the summer holiday.
“The ability to use fireworks is expressly granted by state law to all South Carolina citizens and therefore cannot be regulated by the Town of Mount Pleasant. We urge our residents to be courteous neighbors and refrain from setting off fireworks too late in the evening, or on multiple nights,” said Fire Chief Mike Mixon. “The best way to enjoy fireworks is to visit public fireworks displays put on by trained professionals. We invite residents and visitors to attend one of the many celebrations held locally, including the Fourth of July Fireworks Blast 2022 at Patriots Point.”
Thousands of serious fireworks-related incidents typically injure eyes, heads and hands each year in the United States. A great majority of these injuries are inflicted on children under 15. Firecrackers, sparklers and bottle rockets are the leading contributors to these injuries.
“If you decide to set off fireworks this holiday, be sure to follow these important safety tips from the U.S. Fire Administration,” added Chief Mike Mixon.
FIREWORKS SAFETY TIPS
• Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks. Sparklers considered by many the ideal “safe” firework for the young can easily ignite clothing.
• Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
• Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks. Never shoot a firework at or near another person.
• Only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from the house, dry leaves, and flammable materials.
• Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned. Douse and soak them with water and throw them away.
• Keep a bucket of water handy in case of a malfunction or fire.
• Never ignite fireworks in a container, especially a glass or metal container.
• Keep unused fireworks away from firing areas.
• Store fireworks in a dry, cool place. Check instructions for special storage directions.
• Never have any portion of your body directly over a firework while lighting.
• Don’t experiment with homemade fireworks.